Contenuti della pagina
- What’s new
- About the Osservatorio AIR
- The Observatory’s research and studies
- Italian Independent Regulators’ RIA
- Foreign Independent Regulators’ RIA
- International experience in the evaluation of RIA
- RIA Literature
- Oecd and EU documents on RIA
- Contact and collaboration
2019 Annual Workshop Osservatorio AIR: Alternative Modes of Evaluating EU Impact Assessments and Regulation
The workshop aims to advance available techniques and approaches for evaluating Impact Assessments (IA) and regulation. A comprehensive analysis of the quality of IA and regulation should aim to capture the relationship between policy makers on the one hand, and business, scientific communities, independent regulatory agencies, and private consultancies on the one hand. Especially in times of an externalization and pluralization of policy advisory landscapes, it is also relevant to ask which knowledge feeds into IAs and regulations and of which quality it is. Another key dimension of empirical research is the institutional environment that affects the production of knowledge.
The workshop sheds light on these aspects of the regulatory process by reflecting on alternative approaches to assess the quality of IA and regulation.
The following research questions will guide the workshop:
- What are emerging models for evaluating IA and regulation and what are their advantages and disadvantages vis-à-vis more common methodologies?
- To what extent does scientific literature increase the knowledge of regulators?
- What is the role of consultancy in producing knowledge for regulatory reform? To what extent policy makers control such external production of knowledge?
- To what extent can comparative analyses of IA and regulation conducted by different institutions on the same policy issues contribute to our understanding of the quality of the policy appraisal system?
- What are the main policy recommendations for evaluating IA systems stemming from “alternative” models for evaluation IA and regulation?
- How can we design composite indicators that capture the institutional quality of regulatory governance?
Date and location
Rome, 7 June 2019
Sala Polifunzionale, Presidency of the Council of Ministers | Via Santa Maria in Via, 37/a