by Maria Bianca Armiento
The OECD released “Best Practice Principles for Regulatory Policy for Regulatory Impact Assessment” on 20 February 2020.
It provides five principles for regulatory impact assessment:
- Commitment and buy-in for RIA
- Governance of RIA – having the right set up or system design
- Embedding RIA through strengthening capacity and accountability of the administration
- Targeted and appropriate RIA methodology
- Continuous monitoring, evaluation and improvement of RIA.
According to the report: «the Principles aim to gather and build on this wealth of relevant information and practices in a synthetic tool to provide decision-makers, policy-makers, civil servants and other practitioners in the public sector internationally with a practical instrument to better design and implement their RIA systems and strategies».