The Annual Bulletin assembles reference to papers that have been released throughout 2018. It has been compiled from a number of major journals in the field of administrative law. We have aimed at a balanced and assorted selection of articles focusing on key topics in the field of regulatory governance and better regulation.
- Nielson, A.L. 2018. Sticky Regulations, The University of Chicago Law Review, 85(1): 85:143.
- Santulli, S. 2018. Use of the Congressional Review Act at the Start of the Trump Administration: A Study of Two Vetoes, George Washington Law Review, 86(5): 1373-1391.
Cost- Benefit Analysis
- Chen, B. M. 2018. What’s in a Number: Arguing About Cost-Benefit Analysis in Administrative Law, Lewis & Clark Law Review, 22(3): 923-963.
- Masur, J.S. and Posner, E.A. 2018. Cost-Benefits Analysis and the Judicial Role, The University of Chicago Law Review, 85(4): 935-986.
- Aagaard, T.S. 2018. Agencies, Courts, First Principles, and the Rule of Law, Administrative Law Review, 70(4): 771-806.
- Balto, D. A. 2018. Chevron Deference and Net Neutrality, SSRN papers.
- Brinkerhoff Jr, J.C. and Listwa, D.B. 2018. Deference Conservation—FOIA’s Lessons for a Chevron-less World, Stanford Law Review Online, 71: 146-158.
- Cass, R.A. 2018. Auer Deference: Doubling Down on Delegation’s Defects, Fordham Law Review, 87(2): 531-581.
- Dana, D. A. and Barsa, M. 2018. Judicial Review in an Age of Hyper-Polarization and Alternative Facts, San Diego Journal Climate & Energy Law, 9: 231-264.
- Grammel, S.M. 2018. Chevron Meets the Categorical Approach, Stanford Law Review, 70(3): 921-972.
- Hessick, F.A. 2018. Remedial Chevron, North Carolina Law Review, 97 (1): 1-30.
- Leske, K.O. 2018. Both Sides of the Rock: Justice Gorsuch and the Seminole Rock Deference Doctrine, Michigan Journal of Environmental & Administrative Law, 7(2): 281-314.
- McCarrick. T.J. 2018. In Defense of a Little Judiciary: A Textual and Constitutional Foundation for Chevron, San Diego Law Review, 55(1): 55-86.
- Reitz, J.C. 2018. Deference to the Administration in Judicial Review, The American Journal of Comparative Law, 66 (1): 269–298.
- Sharkey, C.M. 2018. Cutting in on the Chevron Two-Step, Fordham Law Review, 86(5): 2359-2428.
- Siegel, J. R. 2018. The Constitutional Case for Chevron Deference, Vanderbilt Law Review, 71(3): 937-993.
- Slocum, B. G. 2018. Replacing the Flawed Chevron Standard, William & Mary Law Review, 60(1): 195-266,
- Sunstein, C. R. 2018 Chevron Without Chevron, SSRN papers.
- Sunstein, C. R. 2018. Chevron As Law, SSRN papers
- Townsend, J. A. IRS Guidance—Rulemaking and Deference to IRS Statutory Interpretation, SSRN papers.
- Yeatman, W. 2018. An Empirical Defense of Auer Step Zero, Georgetown Law Journal, 106(2): 515-553.
Regulation and Technological Change
- Van Loo, R. 2018. Technology Regulation by Default: Platforms, Privacy, and the CFPB, Georgetown Law Technology Review, 2(2): 531-545.
- Wood, A.K. and Ravel, A.M. 2018. Fool Me Once: Regulating ‘Fake News’ and Other Online Advertising, Southern California Law Review, 91(6): 1223-1278.
Regulatory Agencies’ Design and Political Control
- Bubb, R. and Kahan, M. 2018. Regulating Motivation: A New Perspective on the Volcker Rule, Texas Law Review, 96(5): 1019-1052.
- Glicksman, R.L. and Markell, D. L. 2018. Unraveling the Administrative State: Mechanism Choice, Key Actors, and Regulatory Tools, Virginia Environmental Law Journal, 36(3): 319-385.
- Iurman, I. 2018. As-Applied Nondelegation, Texas Law Review, 96(5): 975-1017.
- Kovacs, K. E. 2018. Rules About Rulemaking and the Rise of the Unitary Executive, Administrative Law Review, 70(3): 515-567.
- Kovacs, K. E. 2018. Fomenting Authoritarianism Through Rules About Rulemaking, SSRN papers.
- Kovvali, A. 2018. Context-Specific Seminole Rock Reform, SSRN papers.
- Levin, R.M. 2018. Rulemaking and the guidance exemption, Administrative Law Review, 70(2): 263-356.
- Light, S. E. 2018. Regulatory Horcruxes, Duke Law Journal, 67(8): 1647-1685.
- Romano, R. 2018. Does Agency Structure Affect Agency Decisionmaking? Implications of the CFPB’s Design for Administrative Governance, European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI) – Law Working Paper No. 380/2018.
- Rossi, J. and Wiseman, H. J. 2018. Constrained Regulatory Exit in Energy Law, Duke Law Journal, 67(8): 1687-1728.
- Seifter, M. 2018. Understanding State Agency Independence, SSRN papers.
- Wenger, K. D. 2018. New Governance Tune-Up: How Behavioral Insights Can Help Refine the New Governance Regulatory Narrative, Thomas Jefferson School of Law Research Paper No. 3123346.
Regulatory Impact Analysis
- Bull, R.T. & Ellig, J. 2018. Statutory Rulemaking Considerations and Judicial Review of Regulatory Impact Analysis, Administrative Law Review, 70(4): 873-959.
- Ellig, J. 2018. Why and How Independent Agencies Should Conduct Regulatory Impact Analysis, Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy, 28(1): 1-34.
Transparency and Accountability
- Winders, D. 2018. Fulfilling the Promise of EFOIA’s Affirmative Disclosure Mandate, Denver University Law Review, 95(4): 909-935.