The second issue of the COVID-19 Digest world (the first is available here) contains a selection of articles published on the most important international journals during the second phase of the pandemic (mainly on May and June). These articles focus on four key topics: regulatory recalibration and policy measures; digital technologies and ethics guidance; implications for the banking sector and the financial stability; social impact.
Better regulation, governance and administration
- How Trump uses a crisis: Repeal rules while nobody is looking (by Rachel Augustine Potter) – The Washington Post, 9 June 2020;
- Will the EU Make its Better Regulation Strategy Truly Better? (by Claudio Radaelli) – The Regulatory Review, 1 June 2020;
- Regulatory Delivery Lessons From COVID-19 Responses (by Florentin Blanc) – The Regulatory Review, 28 May 2020;
- What policies for greening the crisis response and economic recovery? Lessons learned from past green stimulus measures and implications for the COVID-19 crisis (by Shardul Agrawala et al.) – OECD, 27 May 2020;
- Policy measures to avoid corruption and bribery in the COVID-19 response and recovery – OECD, 26 May 2020;
- Covid-19, Regulatory Recalibration, and Learning for the Long Run (by Adam White) – Yale Journal on Regulation, 20 May 2020;
- Old Norms and New Challenges in Spain’s Response to COVID-19 (by Susana de la Sierra) – The Regulatory Review, 20 May 2020;
- Open Government Approaches to Tackling COVID-19 (by Sandy Arce and Joe Foti) – Open Government Partnership, 12 May 2020;
- Using Difference-in-Differences to Identify Causal Effects of COVID-19 Policies (by Andrew Goodman-Bacon and Jan Marcus) – DIW Berlin, 12 May 2020;
- Providing science advice to policy makers during COVID-19 – OECD, 5 May 2020;
- Public servants and the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic: emerging responses and initial recommendations – OECD, 27 April 2020;
- Public Integrity for an Effective COVID-19 Response and Recovery – OECD, 19 April 2020;
- Governmental Public Health Powers During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Stay-at-home Orders, Business Closures, and Travel Restrictions (by Lawrence O. Gostin and Lindsay F. Wiley) – The Journal of the American Medical Association, 2 April 2020.
Digital innovation and communication
- The Social Media Executive Order and the FCC (by Jerry Ellig) – Regulatory Studies Center, 8 June 2020;
- Why Trump’s online platform executive order is misguided (by Niam Yaraghi) – Brookings, 4 June 2020;
- Report on Disinformation: Assessment of the implementation of the Code of Practice – ERGA, 4 May 2020;
- Ensuring data privacy as we battle COVID-19 – OECD, 14 April 2020;
- Countries are using apps and data networks to keep tabs on the pandemic – The Economist, 26 March 2020;
- Digital Contact Tracing for Pandemic Response: Ethics and Governance Guidance (by Jeffrey Kahn) – Project MUSE, 2020.
Economics and finance
- An Event Study of COVID-19 Central Bank Quantitative Easing in Advanced and Emerging Economies (by Jonathan S. Hartley and Alessandro Rebucci) – National Bureau of Economic Research, June 2020;
- COVID-19 and non-performing loans: lessons from past crises (by Anil Ari et al.) – European Central Bank, 27 May 2020;
- Financial Stability Review – European Central Bank, 26 May 2020;
- COVID-19: The Regulatory and Supervisory Implications for the Banking Sector. A Joint IMF-World Bank Staff Position Note – International Monetary Fund, 21 May 2020;
- The European Central Bank in the COVID-19 crisis: whatever it takes, within its mandate (by Grégory Claeys) – Bruegel, 20 May 2020;
- Greener after. A Green Recovery Stimulus for a post-COVID-19 Europe (by Pascal Lamy et al.) – Institute Jacques Delors, 14 May 2020;
- Rebooting Europe: a framework for a post COVID-19 economic recovery (by Julia Anderson et al.) – Bruegel, 13 May 2020;
- Covid-19 policy response and the role of the EIB (by Debora Revoltella) – SUERF Policy Briefs, May 2020.
Welfare state and society
- The barrier to a COVID-19 vaccine won’t just be science: it will also be behaviour (by Michael Hodin) – OECD, 2 June 2020;
- Coronavirus and unemployment. The importance of government policy: a five nation comparison (by Gemma Tetlow et al.) – Institute for Government, 29 May 2020;
- COVID-19 Will Reshape Our Relationship with the State (by Matthew Goodwin) – Chatham House, 12 May 2020;
- Mitigating COVID-19 in a Nationally Representative UK Sample: Personal Abilities and Obligation to Obey the Law Shape Compliance with Mitigation Measures (by Emmeke B. Kooistra) – PsyArXiv, 11 May 2020.